The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, says 32 of the injured victims of Thursday’s train -bus collision at PWD area, Oshodi, have been discharged from hospital.
Abayomi, who spoke to journalists on Friday at the premises of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) said a total of 102 casualties were recorded.
According to him, the number of fatalities still stands at six, while 19 victims have been discharged from LASUTH, five from the State Accident and Emergency Centre at Old Toll Gate, and eight from General Hospital, Agege.
He added that 256 pints of voluntary blood were received on Thursday from Lagos State residents, while 40 units of blood had been transfused to the victims.
“It is important to note that from about 12 o’clock yesterday till now, we have not lost any other passenger from this accident.
“So, the act of triage was very important in saving lives and reducing the casualty of this ghastly accident.
“At the same time, there are very few hospitals in the world that can cope with a sudden surge of very critically injured patients, so the triage process also identifies some of the injured passengers that can be transferred to other established general hospitals in Lagos,” he said.
Abayomi said 25 of the less severely injured were transferred to Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Island General Hospital, the Toll Gate Accident and Emergency Centre, and the Orile Agege General Hospital.
“I went to visit them after I left LASUTH, and all of them are stable and doing fine. Some of them will indeed be discharged later on today,” he added.(ChannelsTV)