Senator Smart Adeyemi donates N2m to Nyanya terror victims

[contextly_auto_sidebar id=”59R9cYLLC08o7V9PxZe1tyQe4ZlrLkOG”]

The Chairman, Senate Committee on the Federal Capital Territory, Senator Smart Adeyemi, on Thursday donated N2 million to the victims of the Nyanya bomb blast.

Adeyemi made the donation when he visited the victims receiving treatment at the National Hospital and Asokoro District Hospital.

Adeyemi also visited the scene of the bomb explosion in Nyanya, Abuja.
smart adeyemi

Adeyemi, who was accompanied by Senators Philip Aduda and Emmanuel Bwacha, gave N2 million to the victims receiving treatment in the two health facilities.

This would be split into two by the two health facilities.

He directed management of the two hospitals to share the money to all the bomb blast victims receiving treatment to enable them attend to financial needs of their dependents.

He said: “There are claims by families of victims that the hospital did not provide victims with food.

“I don’t know what you are doing about the feeding because majority of them are downtrodden.”

Adeyemi said that the Senate Committee on the FCT would ensure adequate budgetary allocation in the FCT 2014 statutory budget for installation of Closed Circuit Television in commercial centres.

He said: “Now that we are still working on the FCT statutory budget, we hope to make enough funding for security.

“We are going to ensure that virtually in all parks and commercial centres of the city have cameras that can capture movement of people.

“We are going to purchase CCTV that are of international standard that can really do the job for us.”

Aduda commended the health workers for their commitment and quick response towards helping the wounded and thanked Adeyemi for the gesture to the people.

“This is my constituency and it happened directly to me because among them we have family members, brothers and sisters and all those who supported me one way or the other politically,” Aduda said.

Responding, the Chairman, Governing Board of the National Hospital, Dr. Tony Okam, said that the staff had been doing their best despite the emergency situation they had to contend with.

Okam, who said that 25 victims were still receiving treatment at the hospital, stressed that none of the patients was denied food.
He said: “It is not true.

“I have given a directive that under no condition should any patient be denied food and good spirited people have been coming with assistance.

“We run three shifts.

“If there was need, we would have called up workers from the 60-bed Trauma Centre.

“The centre has capacity to expand up to 80 beds and would have ordinarily been able to accommodate everybody but our prayer is that it will not happen again.”

The FCT Secretary of Health, Dr. Adekola Onakomaiya, received the N1 million donation on behalf of the 23 bomb blast patients receiving treatment at Asokoro District Hospital.