US Condemns Recent Boko Haram Attacks

buhariObama

The United States government on Tuesday, December 29, condemned the terrible attacks carried out by Boko Haram in Nigeria between December 25 and 28, as well as other recent attacks in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger, The Punch reports.

The United States President, Barack Obama who spoke through Mark Toner, Deputy Spokesperson of the Department of State, extended his administration’s deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims, Leadership reports.

However, he urged the governments of Nigeria and other affected countries to begin an urgent probe into the terrible attacks, restating the country’s commitment to helping Nigeria and its neighbors counter Boko Haram’s senseless acts of terror.

He said: “Despite much progress over the past yeardue in large part to newly bolstered Nigerian and regional efforts more work remains to ensure the people of Cameroon, Chad, Niger, and Nigeria can live in peace.

The United States provides advisors, intelligence, training, logistical support, and equipment to our African partners as they work to defeat Boko Haram. We also support those affected by Boko Haram’s violence through ongoing humanitarian aid and victim support services.

The United States will continue working with our partners in the region to identify new opportunities to support their efforts to stop Boko Haram’s wanton violence and restore order in the Lake Chad Basin region.”

Meanwhile, Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti state has described Sunday and Monday’s Boko Haram attacks in Borno and Adamawa states as disheartening and an indictment on the All Progressives Congress (APC) federal government.

The Ekiti state governor said that the minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed must explain to Nigerians how the same Boko Haram that he said had been “technically defeated” could carry out such daring and deadly attacks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.